As the leaves begin to turn color and the calendar says we are in Q4, it’s time for many businesses to begin budgeting for the coming year. That budgeting exercise should include reviewing your IT Roadmap and IT budget.
In today’s business world, technology is at the heart of everything a business does. An IT roadmap helps you precisely understand the current state of your business, clarify where you want to go and define exactly how you’re going to get there – efficiently and affordably.
Here are 7 reasons your company needs an IT roadmap:
- Increase your “uptime.” If you want your technology to work, your first step should be an IT plan that addresses product life cycles and the issues that create downtime for your organization.
- Employees are more productive. If you add up the number of hours per year employees were unable to work because of downtime and then multiply it by your average hourly rate, you’ll see how costly lost productivity is for your company.
- Hone business processes. An IT plan allows you to closely examine business processes and identify technology that can enhance these processes. This might be as simple as moving email to the cloud or adopting the right software for your organization’s needs.
- A competitive edge. What would give you an edge over the competition or more market share? As you think about these questions, notice how many of the answers you come up with that are related to technology.
- Lower overall cost of IT. By planning your IT roadmap, you’ll spend more effectively and lower your overall long-term IT costs. How? Because you’ll spend your IT dollars correctly the first time and avoid unexpected expenses or loss.
- Secure your business. There are a number of threats that strike businesses of all sizes, and they can range from the loss of data-laden mobile devices to ransomware attacks. Security concerns can be identified and protected against with a good IT roadmap in place.
- Solve strategic issues. All clients have annual and quarterly business initiatives. Thoughtful IT planning will enable your business to securely and efficiently meet those initiatives, all the while empowering employee productivity
Does your firm have an IT Roadmap? The professionals at Connecting Point can help you put one in place.